
A few days ago a friend called me. She complained that she; “Just wasn’t enough”. I listened for a long time as she talked about her small, crappy house, how her husband wasn’t making enough money, that she was fat and she didn’t have any money to buy new clothes. And while she was talking I realized that at some time throughout every woman’s life- we’ve all felt this way. We constantly compare our homes, children, ex-wives, ex-girlfriends, our bodies, husbands, meals, jobs, hair, callings, talents or lack thereof. I’ve felt this way several times, thinking; “Wow I wish I looked like that”, or “wouldn’t it be fun to have that house, wait, why don’t I have that house?” I went to Enrichment a few months ago and sat by a girl that could paint meticulously, beautifully and I thought; “oh she’s really talented.” And as we sat together throughout the night and chatted I complimented her work several times which made the piece I was painting even more dismal and unattractive, I kept comparing her work to mine. By the time I finished I thought; ‘Stupid piece of wood. I hate this sign it looks stupid, I think I’ll just throw it away.’ That night I went home and felt down, I just wasn’t enough, I can’t paint like sister so & so, I had dirty dishes in the sink and I had a zit the size of Houston on my chin. My life, my crappy, crappy life. I went into my bedroom and took out of my night stand several 3X5 cards that I’ve looked at over and over for the past 8 years. On the cards are compliments I’ve received from others and things I like and admire about myself. I read over them and then remembered that the secret to having it all, is believing that you do.
6 comments:
Wow Julie - very profound. Way to put things in perspective!
I quess I will cancel my subscription to "Don't you wish you could be this good".
thanks for setting the record straight.
Compare Compsmare= Who cares I say. I love the comment.
Love this blog!! "Count your many blessings" right? Who dosen't need to be reminded of this?
Hey Jules,
Thanks for the reminder. You know my motto - "Fake it till you Make it!" I think you are Fabulous!
I agree with red hen! What a good idea to have those cards close by when you feel that way! Good for you!
Post a Comment