One of the greatest things we were able to do was to take so many donations (6 suitcases) of hygiene & newborn kits, toothbrushes and soap, toys, candy, and money to buy food for people of Zimbabwe. A funny story about the donations is that we prayed the entire time that the suitcases would make it safe and unopened, that nothing would be stolen or lost. Ironically every suitcase with Humanitarian aid made the trip, however our two personal suitcases with our clothes and toiletries did not make it. We waited several days and hung out in the same clothes until our bags arrived laughing to ourselves; "We should have prayed for all of them, duh!" Often times we felt so overwhelmed by giving so little to people with nothing. A bag of food or a blanket bringing tears to mother's eyes. A sucker bringing a huge smile and many thank yous from a child (the parents asking for a lick). The first picture is of mini meal & salt we loaded up to give out. Another picture you'll notice is people running to receive something-anything. Each person was very kind and grateful. Everywhere we traveled we took things to give away. If we stopped and there were 10 people but we only had one thing left to give, the other 9 would say thank you to us for helping the one person, thanking us numerous times. I believe in life you only know what your eyes and hands have experienced and this is something I will never forget.
Monday, February 16, 2009
Africa Part Two
One of the greatest things we were able to do was to take so many donations (6 suitcases) of hygiene & newborn kits, toothbrushes and soap, toys, candy, and money to buy food for people of Zimbabwe. A funny story about the donations is that we prayed the entire time that the suitcases would make it safe and unopened, that nothing would be stolen or lost. Ironically every suitcase with Humanitarian aid made the trip, however our two personal suitcases with our clothes and toiletries did not make it. We waited several days and hung out in the same clothes until our bags arrived laughing to ourselves; "We should have prayed for all of them, duh!" Often times we felt so overwhelmed by giving so little to people with nothing. A bag of food or a blanket bringing tears to mother's eyes. A sucker bringing a huge smile and many thank yous from a child (the parents asking for a lick). The first picture is of mini meal & salt we loaded up to give out. Another picture you'll notice is people running to receive something-anything. Each person was very kind and grateful. Everywhere we traveled we took things to give away. If we stopped and there were 10 people but we only had one thing left to give, the other 9 would say thank you to us for helping the one person, thanking us numerous times. I believe in life you only know what your eyes and hands have experienced and this is something I will never forget.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What an amazing trip that you went on. Those kids are so cute!! I love all the pictures, and that house boat what fun!!!
What a great experience! You guys are so great to do that. I miss you - how are ya?
Did you bring me back that special "gift " that I asked for? Something like that may have been hard to get out of the country so I will understand if you didn't!
J
I'm SOOOOO happy you finally posted. I missed you at Bunko.
Wow! Your trip sounds amazing! What a cool way to spend Christmas.
Post a Comment