Monday, August 4, 2008

Washcloth and a Glass of Milk

My brother and I were recently reminiscing about the remedies my mom would use on us as children. No matter what was wrong; a headache, broken arm, split open face, tooth knocked out, skinned up knees, feelings hurt there is nothing a glass of milk or a cold wash cloth to the head wouldn’t fix it, combined with lying on the couch. I still to this day need a cold wash cloth to the forehead when I don’t feel good but I’ve also added in taking a bath. For some reason if I take a bath, I feel better. Stephen thinks it’s the weirdest thing to want something cold and wet on your face when you’re sick, but will lovingly start a bath for me whenever I need a soak.

When I was living over in Provo as a single gal- I went on a bike ride up Provo canyon to Bridal Veil Falls with a friend. As we were coming home I crashed head on with a dork that was in my bike lane. The ambulance was called and lucky for my friend it was the first time he had ever held a girls hand (that’s a story for another time). So we rode in the ambulance to UVRMC, to the emergency room and I was crying for him to call my mom. I needed my mom! Well my sister Doreen was at my moms with my sister Heidi so my mom told them; “Go see what’s wrong with Julie, I will stay here with the grandkids” They show up at the emergency room with my friend Ashley in tow. (Marcus had called everyone on my cell phone list to let them know I had gotten in a biking accident). I cried; “Where’s mom?” They said; “She sent us, and we brought you a big chill, what’s wrong?” I was so mad that my mom sent my sisters. I needed my mom! She could have told the nurse were to stick the needle and tell the others to stop laughing when the nurse mentioned projectile vomiting.

And now today even when I’m 30 I still need my mom. Recently my mom has been sick with a kidney infection, I went and saw her yesterday and lay in bed next to her. I offered her a wash cloth and a glass of milk, she told me those wouldn’t really work for what she had, she only wanted a gun. That mom, she is sassy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have used the "washcloth and a glass of milk" treatment many times. It is foolproof. Other family remedies are not as well known but include Doreens "1 Lortab, 2 Dingdongs, and a Coke" treatment and Dads "I'll give you something to cry about" treatment; both very effective. As for Mom, she is no sissy!!! she just needs someone to force that washcloth on her forhead and to tell her "I've seen worse, you're gonna live"

The Red Hen said...

Personally, I inherited the gene that if you can't physically SEE it, it doesn't exist. Ask Jade about this one (dry sockets with her wisdom teeth - and other maladies). However in the event that you DO think you have a problem I am sure it is nothing that a Coke and two Excedrin can't cure. Also the "lay down on the couch and be quiet for a while" works pretty good too. I am not sure if this is for my sake or theirs, but whatever, it's all good! I hope Mom gets better soon. It's no fun having a sick Mom!

SW Portraits said...

Just doing some stalking and thought I'd drop a line. I miss you and everyone at HB! **sniff, sniff...**